Monday 19 February 2018

Day 2- Tips to Prepare for Study Abroad




If you are reading this blog post because you are about to leave your home country to do your studies, congratulations! If you are just here to see what I am about to ramble about, you are welcome, too and I promise to not ramble….too much.


As you may know from yesterday’s blog post, in October 2017, I left my home country; Zambia, to study a Masters in Management in the United Kingdom. Through everything leading up to my departure and my experience upon arrival, I have some tips that you may find helpful.



PRIOR TO DEPARTURE




Do your research. It is so much helpful to dedicate time to researching on the country, town, university you are going to. That was really helpful for me because I was quite emotional about leaving my family behind. Knowing what was there to look forward to helped me to stay excited about the adventure ahead.  I also found it helpful to research on societies suitable for International students at your university. There should be a lot of information on that on the university website or social media accounts. Join your course group or chat on social media, you will get some helpful information from there too,  the bonus is you get to interact with them too. YouTube is also a useful source of information. If you have friends or family in that town/country or even better, university, do not be afraid to ask questions.


Make sure you plan your time in order to avoid leaving things to the last minute. Unfortunately, I didn’t do that and my last days were a hot mess. Given that it was only confirmed that I was leaving two days before I actually left, it is still no excuse as I should have strategized- uncertainty is not an excuse! Make a list of everything you need to do and plan it out making sure you avoid leaving items to the last couple of days, or even hours, before your departure.  Don’t burn bridges before you leave.  Say goodbye to your family and friends. Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no new set of family or bunch of friends waiting for you at the airport in your destination country. 


Do not over pack or under pack. When I was leaving, I think I had a relapse of judgment. I left most of my clothes as if there were bags of clothes awaiting me in the arrival lounge. The other extreme is packing more than you will need. Making a list of everything you plan to pack helps you avoid that. I made the mistake of assuming that I didn’t need to carry some Zambian dry foods and cultural items. I am still here regretting that, you will definitely miss the food from back home and need to show some items that represent your culture, so don’t forget.



DAY OF DEPARTURE




Try by all means to leave this day pressure free. You don’t want to spend it running around, trust me. Leave this day for the final, simple to-do items that you were not able to do before. If all is done, spend your extra time chilling and ensuring you have not forgotten anything. Make sure you have cash on you, in a convenient currency as you do not want surprises with bank card drama. Make sure you have printed all documents you are required to show at immigration. 

I hope this was helpful to you, if you need some advice on anything to do with preparing to go abroad for studies, I am more than glad to help. I am not a guru in this area but after experiencing it, I would consider it a pleasure to help anyone navigate through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment